Monday, April 20, 2009

Getting Started

Hi! My name is Miss RosieMarie. I am a 9 month old black and tan Bloodhound. I live in North Carolina with my mom and dad and two sisters; Mollie, an 11 year old toy Poodle, and Jodie, a 7 year old Jack Russell.
I have a real sister, Abigail, who lives in the country with my Uncle Jarred and Aunt Ashley. But I live in the city. My parents own enough land for me and my big sisters to run around, bark and dig lots of holes.
Bloodhounds are Scent hounds which means we like to follow our noses. Sometimes I am so busy following a new smell I forget to watch where I am going and have banged into tables, knocked over lamps, and been stopped by walls. I once tried to dig up the kitchen floor but nothing happened short mf me getting disciplined and the floor being repaired. I just could not find where that captivating smell was coming from.
It was a long time before I learned how to bark, which some people call baying. I was quiet except for whimpering when I wanted something. Jodie would stand in front of me and bark and bark and bark because it is what terriers do pretty well. She would run from me to the fence where Ethel and Fred, our resident squirrels, would scamper and bark then run back to where I curiously stood. Eventually I found my big, deep voice and “Ba-roooooo”. I scared Ethel and Fred back into their tree.
I liked the sound I made. “Ba-rooooo! Ba-rooooo!”. Jodie looked at me and wagged her tail and gave me lots of kisses. I was 8 months old. Since then I have bayed at Fred and Ethel and more than a few cats just because it sounds cool. I really like the cats, especially Bob. I do not understand why they will not come and play with us so I keep baying. Maybe they will understand I just want them to join us for some fun.
Molly likes to bark, too. She likes to dig more than barking, however. I used to dig curious holes. Curious holes are more exploratory than anything. Molly, being a Poodle, had a much bigger vision. She is quite far-sighted for such a small dog and I have come to appreciate her vision. When I find a scent I like I follow it, which molly encourages. Eventually I find just the right spot to dig and paw at the grass and dirt until I find a new scent and move on.
Molly likes me to stay focused. She follows me and nudges me back to my hole with her nose and motions for me to begin again. Together we have reached the Nirvana of hole digging. I am so happy when Molly jumps around and licks my face after I have made a small hole really big. I jump around, too. Then I find another smell and follow it and Molly and I begin all over again until it is time to go inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment