Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Annals of Miss RosieMarie

Today I spent the morning outside with Jodie and Molly. We sprawled across the oversized picnic table beneath an expansive oak tree and barked at birds, watched the trash men, and generally did nothing.
Our parents were at work until lunchtime, when Mom came home to feed us and let us inside. Since she is under the deceptive belief that I only need to eat twice a day we were given healthy, frozen carrots. I took mine into my crate and buried it until she left, whereupon I deftly unburied my frozen yummy and crunched it while Jodie and Molly watched longingly on the other side of my crate door.
They had already consumed their baby carrots. If they had been wiser they would have also waited. Of course, they were probably in a hurry because I steal their carrots whenever possible. I am a growing puppy and need to be excused for my ravenous outbursts. Besides, they are old and do not really need to be eating so much roughage.
I napped after my treat until Mom came back home from work. I was really tired after such an exhausting morning. It really drains a hound taking in all those scents, especially from the garbage truck. I am still learning how to distinguish odors and so it takes quite a bit of concentration for me to hone in on a particularly interesting one.
I would have an easier time of it if Jodie would stop barking at everything that moves and Molly would quit nudging me to dig. We scent hounds are odor connoisseurs. We are to the canine world what a human ‘nose’ is to Chanel, Lauder, or Lancome’. There is not an odor, fragrance, smell, or scent that goes unnoticed by our keen proboscis.
For instance, tonight Mom made our usual kibble and brown rice meal with broth heated in the microwave. It is healthy, but bo-ring.
For herself Mom sautéed sliced mushrooms, diced tomatoes, chopped onions and crushed garlic in unsalted butter. She added a small poached salmon filet and sprinkled it with a pinch of sea salt. True, I did get the salmon liquid, but it was not the same as the entire meal coming together in my nose and mouth.
After Mom cleaned up I crept into the kitchen and checked out the sink for any leftover dinner. Fortunately humans do not lick their dishes after eating. It has something to do with manners, which I think are idiocy. The juice is the best part of a meal. But I digress to another favorite topic. Anyway, I checked out her plate and found myself in yummy heaven. Mmmmmm. All for me since Jodie and Molly are too little to reach that high. Oh well, it sucks to be them, as dad would say.
Dad is working late so this means I will get to check out his plate after he eats. I love a late night snack. Meanwhile I think I am going to follow this really neat smell that is emanating from the bottom of Mom’s shoes. It reminds me of the neighborhood cat but I cannot quite put my paw on it. Perhaps this calls for more in-depth research. I just hope Mom has a lot of homework so she won’t notice…

No comments:

Post a Comment